For maximum production, tomatoes should be watered with drip irrigation and fertlisation, in short spells (2-4 days).
Tomatoes are susceptible to lack of water at any time during their life cycle.
With drip irrigation, for optimum production we recommend the following as an average for interventions:
- APRIL one cycle on sowing or transplant (250 cu.m./ha.)
- MAY 600 cu.m./ha. evenly distributed
- JUNE 1500 cu.m./ha. evenly distributed
- JULY 1500 cu.m./ha. evenly distributed
- AUGUST max. 1000 cu.m./ha. by the second half of August and depending on harvest requirements.
With sprinkler irrigation, more or less similar volumes of water can be maintained, but obviously the intervals will be longer (around 10 days each).
In all cases production will be lower than crops irrigated by drip systems.